Nell Gwynn by Jessica Swale
Banbury Cross Players will perform Nell Gwynn by Jessica Swale at The Mill Arts Centre from 12th to 15th February 2020.
Nell Gwynn will be directed by Clare Lester. Clare directed Calendar Girls and took a major part in The 39 Steps.
- Nell Gwynn – full of charm, spirit and intelligence, must be able to sing and dance (mid 20s-mid 30s)
- Rose Gwynn – Nell’s sister, quiet, less confident (mid-20s-mid 30s)
- Nancy – King’s Company costume mistress, not afraid to speak her mind (30+)
- Lady Castlemaine – Charles’s most ambitious mistress (late 20s-30s)*
- Old Ma Gwynn – Nell’s mother and brothel madam (50 upwards)*
- Queen Catherine – Charles’s wife, speaks in Portuguese (30+)*
- Louise de Keroualle – Charles’s French mistress, speaks in French and English (20+)*
- King Charles II – theatrical, enthusiastic (30+)
- Charles Hart – leading actor in the King’s Company (25+)
- Thomas Killigrew – Founder of the King’s Company (40+)
- Edward Kynaston – King’s Company actor who plays the women’s parts (30+)
- John Dryden – nervy playwright (30-40+)
- Lord Arlington – ambitious minister (40+)
- Ned Spiggott – King’s Company apprentice actor, keen and enthusiastic (15+)
* Could be doubled, will be involved in company singing and dancing
London, 1660. King Charles II has exploded onto the scene with a love of all things loud, extravagant and sexy. And at Drury Lane, a young Nell Gwynn is causing stirrings amongst the theatregoers.
Nell Gwynn by Jessica Swale charts the rise of an unlikely heroine, from her roots in Coal Yard Alley to her success as Britain’s most celebrated actress, and her hard-won place in the heart of the King. But at a time when women are second-class citizens, can her charm and spirit protect her from the dangers of the Court?
If you want to audition for a part in Nell Gwyn you need to come along to The Mill Arts Centre at 7:30 on Tuesday 5 Nov 2019 for members or Thursday 7 Nov 2019 if you’re not a member. Non-members are welcome to come along to the read through on Tuesday of the previous week.
(If you can’t make any of these dates get in touch via the contact us page.)
Read through – 29 Oct 2019
Auditions – 5 Nov 2019 (Members) & 7 Nov 2019 (Open)
Read about the playwright – https://www.nickhernbooks.co.uk/plays-to-perform/jessica-swale